The shower is one of the most-used areas in a bathroom, and it can be tough to keep it clean. This is especially true for glass shower doors, which seem to attract dirt and grime like no other surface. But what causes this build-up, and more importantly, how to clean glass shower doors effectively and make them sparkly clean and shiny.
What makes the shower door cloudy and dirty?
One of the reasons why glass shower doors get dirty so quickly is the high level of humidity in the bathroom. When water droplets dry, they leave behind a film on the door’s surface. This film can be made worse if you use bar soap or body wash, as these products tend to leave a residue on the door.
Another factor contributing to the dirt build-up of glass shower doors is the type of water you have in your area. If your water has a high mineral content, it can cause limescale to form on the door’s surface. This white film is difficult to remove and often requires special cleaners or scrubbing.
Related Post: How to Clean Cloudy Glass With A Homemade Glass Cleaners
Different Cleaning Solutions to Effectively Clean your Glass Shower Door
Cleaning a glass shower door can be challenging, especially if you are not doing it regularly. In addition, dirt may build up, making them hard to remove. However, chemical-based cleaning agents, natural and commercial, can make the work easy and effective.
So, if you are having difficulty on how to clean glass shower doors, you can consider any of these solutions to help you remove the specks of dirt and soap residue.
Window cleaner is an effective cleaner for glass shower doors. It is made to clean glass windows, but you can also use it on other surfaces like mirrors and glass shower doors. Window cleaner usually contains ammonia and alcohol, which are two ingredients that work together to clean the glass without leaving any streaks or residues behind.
To use it as a cleaner, you can spray it onto the door and wipe it off with a cloth or paper towel. Ensure you rinse off any residue left behind by the window cleaner so that your shower door doesn’t smell like a cleaning product.
A glass cleaner is available in any cleaning store locally. It will effectively clean the shower door and is easy to use. It comes in a spray bottle, and all you need to do is spray it onto the door and wipe it off with a cloth or paper towel.
The glass cleaner is usually made of ammonia, alcohol, and water. These ingredients work together to clean the door without leaving any streaks or white marks residues. In addition, they can break and soften the stubborn dirt, making it easy to remove.
Vinegar is one of the best condiments you can have in your kitchen, but it can also be an effective glass shower door cleaner. If you are unsure how to clean glass shower doors, vinegar can be your ally.
Vinegar has active ingredients that dissolve dirt and grease. All you need to do is mix vinegar with water in a spray bottle and then spray it onto the door. You can either let it sit for a few minutes so that the ingredients can work their magic or wipe it off immediately with a cloth or paper towel. Ensure you rinse off any residue left behind by the vinegar so that your shower door doesn’t smell like pickles.
Baking soda solution
Another natural and inexpensive cleaner that you can use to clean glass shower doors is baking soda. Baking soda is a great alkaline, and it can neutralize any acids present on the door. This makes it an effective cleaner for removing dirt, grease, and soap scum from your shower door.
To make a baking soda solution:
- Mix baking soda with water until it forms a paste.
- Apply the paste to the door and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Then, use a cloth or paper towel to wipe it off.
- Ensure you rinse off any residue left behind by the baking soda so that your shower door doesn’t smell like a bakery.
Lemon juice is another natural cleaner that you can use on glass shower doors. Lemon juice contains citric acid, an excellent degreaser and cleaning agent. It can also help to remove any hard water stains from your door. In addition, it is inexpensive and smells good.
To use it as a cleaner:
- Squeeze the fruit to extract the lemon juice.
- Pour the lemon juice into a spray bottle.
- Spray it onto the door.
- Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Then, wipe it off with a cloth or paper towel.
- Ensure you rinse off any residue left.
Dish soap is a great all-purpose cleaner that you can also clean your glass shower door. Its ability to remove grease and dirt on dishes makes it an excellent agent to clean glass shower doors.
To use it as a cleaner, you can spray it onto the door and wipe it off with a cloth or paper towel. Ensure you rinse off any residue left behind by the dish soap so that your shower door doesn’t smell like a dirty kitchen.
Some Helpful Tips in Cleaning Glass Shower Door
- Use a Squeegee. A squeegee is specially made to clean a glass shower door smoothly. It has a rubber blade that is attached to a handle. Running it on the glass will push the water and cleaning solution down the door, leaving it clean and streak-free. Make sure to squeegee the door in one direction. If you go back and forth, it will leave streaks.
- Start from the top and work your way down. This will help prevent any cleaning solution or water from dripping on you as you clean.
- Use a razor blade to remove any built-up hard water spots. Hold the blade slightly and scrape it across the spots with stubborn dirt. Be careful not to scratch the glass.
- Keep your shower clean by regularly wiping down the door with a squeegee or cloth. This will help prevent dirt and grime from building up and make cleaning harder later.
- Regularly clean your glass shower door to prevent specks of dirt from building up. Nothing beats a regularly maintained glass shower door.
While all these tips can be efficient to restore the usual shine of your glass shower door, there may be a chance that the glass may not look good no matter how you clean it, especially if it is old. In this case, if the procedure on how to clean glass shower doors is no longer effective, replacement would be your next option.
You can always rely on One Day Glass when getting a glass shower door quickly. The company takes pride in high-quality craftsmanship and the latest technology to provide customers with well-crafted glass that fits their requirements.
Call One Day Glass today and get your free quotation! Then, they can have your glass ready for pickup or delivery in just one day!